This zesty, brightly flavored Cuban Mojo Chicken makes me SO happy! What gives the chicken its amazing flavor is a Cuban-style marinade called Mojo (pronounced moho), made with fresh orange and lime juice and their zest, garlic cloves and cumin seeds. Colorful bell peppers and onions with white wine and bay leaves line the bottom of the heavy bottom pot and nestled in the center, lies the chicken.
The whole thing is placed in the oven and when it comes out, the chicken is roasted golden brown, and the delicious pan sauce has been reduced and infused with the juices of the chicken and mojo.
Served over Chili Roasted Yams (or simple rice) spoon the flavorful pan sauce, peppers and onions over the chili roasted yams, and place the chicken over top. Finish with fresh zest and cilantro. I hope this makes you as happy as it makes me
How to make Cuban Mojo Chicken
Make the mojo marinade:
Prep the whole chicken
Marinate the Chicken
Prep the veggies
Nestle the chicken in the pot
Bake the Cuban Mojo Chicken!
You may also enjoy:
Cuban Mojo Chicken with flavorful Mojo Marinade and Chile Roasted Yams – roast this as a whole chicken or with chicken pieces on a sheet pan.
- 1 orange- zest and juice
- 1 large lime- zest and juice
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted ( or ground cumin )
- 2 olive oil
- 4 – 4.5 lb chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion- sliced ½ thick rings
- 2 bell peppers- sliced into ½ inch thick rings
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- Garnish: cilantro, lime wedges, zest
Chile Roasted Yams
Note: Marinate chicken for at least 1 hour at room temp…. or up to 24 hours refrigerated.
- Make marinade: Zest orange and lime and set aside. Add juice from lime and orange ( should be at least a ½ cup total ) and garlic to a blender. Add oil, salt, pepper, cumin. Blend well.
- Rinse and truss chicken and place in a large Ziploc bag, with the marinade, turning to coat all the nooks and crannies. Let sit at room temp for one hour, turning occasionally. (Or marinate up to 24 hours in the refrigerator).
- Prep the Yams. To make roasted yams, toss the cut yams in medium bowl with olive oil, salt, chili powder, allspice, coating evenly. Spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450F
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1-2 T oil over medium heat. Add the onion “rings”, sauté on med-high heat, stirring often until golden and just tender about 4-5 minutes. Add peppers, turn heat to med, sauté 3-4 more minutes. Add the wine, half of the orange and lime zest, the bay leaves and turn heat off.
- Remove chicken from the marinade place it BREAST SIDE DOWN, over the onions and peppers. Pour all remaining marinade over top and give pot a good shake.
- Place in the middle of the oven, bake uncovered 20 minutes. Turn chicken over, reduce heat to 400F, and continue to roast until inner thigh reaches 165 F -about 35-45 minutes more.
- Place yams in the oven when you flip the chicken, checking them after 25-30 minutes. Squeeze with a little lime after removing.
- Let chicken rest 10 minutes before carving.
- Cut chicken and serve over roasted sweet potatoes, making sure to scoop up some of the braised peppers, onions and pan juices.
- Garnish with a squeeze of lime, a sprinkling of lime and orange zest and fresh cilantro.
Keywords: mojo chicken, roasted mojo chicken, baked mojo chicken, sheet pan mojo chicken, cuban chicken